Thursday, August 16, 2007

Cairo: The Pyramids

I'm back. If you haven't read our earlier post from today I would suggest you do so before continuing with this one. There are some more funny taxi cab stories to continue with and you need the background information to understand. I'll wait....

Okay, so after leaving the museum, which again was awesome, it was time for lunch. We ventured out again on our own. That took some courage after the morning debacle., but we found a great restaurant that was suggested in our guidebook and had a marvelous lunch. Afterward it was time to hail a taxi and go to the pyramids. We got a driver and agreed on a price, slightly more than we wanted to pay but we were in a time crunch. On the way our driver talked about taking a camel ride at the pyramids. We said no thank you. (We had read about that scam in the guidebook) So when our driver pulled into an alley and said here you go, we were a bit confused. When the camel owner came up to take us on our trip, we were pissed. We started arguing with everyone, I decided screw this and started to walk away. Jen continued to argue and got the driver to agree to take us the rest of the way to the pyramids like we had asked. Score one for the wife, following my lead we would have had another long walk. Once we got to pyramids our driver said that we could get a ticket for his cab and he could drive us around so we would not have to walk. Cost 2LE which is about .40 cents, we said fine whatever and went to get our tickets in.

At the gate a nice older man said we did not need the driver, and sent him away. He helped us get our tickets and get us in. THEN he offered to be our guide. I was like GREAT! is everyone here after something. I said no thanks and he said that he was not going to charge us anything, I then said thanks. He started walking and telling us some interesting facts, took some humorous photos of Jen and I, and showed us old burial grounds but in the process lead us away from the Great Pyramid. He lead us to a horse drawn carriage and said this was best way to see the pyramids. To say I was disappointed in the old man is an understatement. After much haggling we agreed to the ride but told him and our boy driver a hundred times we wanted to see the pyramids not go shopping. (Another scam we had read about)

The pyramids can't be described. We were awestruck at the size and how unbelievable it was that they were even built at all. When we got to the Sphinx we were having a great time. When the carriage tried to leave the area and head to the market we were pissed again. I nearly jumped out, yelling that we DID NOT want to go shopping and had made that clear. Luckily he was a little boy and agreed to stop. We got out, thanked him for his time and walked into the Sphinx. Again it was truly amazing, and again truly frustrating. There were vendors everywhere trying to sell us stuff. They were in our faces constantly until the tourist police would show up and make them back off. Aside from all that we were very thankful to see this place. Here is a another picture.



When we got back we showered and went to dinner in the area here. It was a great place and we had a nice time. We are now getting packed to head off to Ethiopia and get our son. I think we are going shopping for a little bit as well. Wish us luck and talk to you soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must have been cool to run into Indiana Jones. Lee

Anonymous said...

Ok. Katie wants to know who took the picture. I assume it was Gary. The kids enjoyed seeing your pictures. I must say, Jen looks fabulous on the water. They all say they love you much and can't wait for you to get home, with Tariku. But they are having a good time I think. We are headed for church to work and later this PM we are meeting Cheryl and Dave in Williamsburg. Take care. When do you actually get to see Tariku? Love to you both. Papa and the kids.

Monnik said...

oooh! Another great picture. Cool!

Anonymous said...

hi mom and dad. are you having a good time? I miss you. Did you get Tariku yet? I'm having a real fun time here. Hurry home! I love you!!! love you, jack

Monnik said...

ok, so I didn't have time to read the post earlier when I commented about the picture. Now that I have read it, I'm laughing because I can totally see Jen arguing with that taxi driver about not wanting the camel ride. I can absolutely picture that exchange in my mind. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello,

We will be leaving to pick up the kids in about 45 minutes and I wanted to see if there was any new posts to share with them. Although, I guess it is next Tuesday at 1:47 am there right now, so we will have to wait until yesterday to read anything you wrote.

As Jack said, do you have Tariku yet?

Dad Krob

Lilypie Date is set Ticker