Sunday, August 12, 2007

11 hours 'til takeoff

OK, in 11 hours (10:15 AM) our plane takes off. I am (oh, yes, again) freaking out alittle. We have weighed and re-weighed our bags like a gazillion times. Same with carry-ons, which have given us the most grief. Ethiopian Airlines has a 15 pound weight restriction on carry-ons and since we want to put all out Cairo clothes in those, it has been tough. 15 lbs?? The 2 rolling suitcases, that are the correct size for a carryon are 9 lbs EMPTY! So, we decided to use duffel bags. And then I think the scale is getting tired because every once in awhile it gives me a really weird number. (it is digital with a battery).

But, I think we are ready to go now. Gary is double checking the list as I type. I have 2 more lists for the morning. One is all the last minute stuff that cannot happen until we are walking out, turn up the thermostat, fill the cat water bowl, put the weekend feeder in the fish tank, etc. The other is last minute tips for Dad. I have a 3 page word doc that I sent him twice and now this list is all the things I have thought of in the last 2 days. Such as soccer practice. Jack's coach called yesterday and Katie's today, both wanting to start practice this week. Ugh. I was sure that would happen though.

Kids are packed and ready to go too. They have been real excited, but I am getting hints of sadness now. It will be a very tough morning. Heck, I am tearing up right now. We took some pics at the fair today and had them printed, so they could each have some to look at so they 'won't forget us', as Jack said. :)

I have not had time to get really excited yet. In fact, I just don't even want to go yet. I am nervous, about Egypt (will the Hotel driver really be at the airport?). And I am very nervous about Addis. I cannot beleive I am going to meet my new little baby in 6 days. That is exciting, if I can just get on the plane, maybe I can think about it alittle.

Nik, I got the first 3 of those books you mentioned, The No 1 Ladies Dective Agency. I thought a trip to Africa might be a good time to start reading them.

Happy birthday little Sis! You looked great yesterday, Laura!

Here are a couple pics from today at the fair! I am not sure you can tell it was in the 90's and a heat index of 103! You should have seen us walking to the car, not a pretty sight.


7 comments:

Monnik said...

I'm so excited that this is really happening now!!!

Have a safe trip. Can't wait to hear all about it and meet little Tarik.

Monnik said...

Oh, and I just finished the seventh or eighth book in that series yesterday on our way home from Fargo. They are really great books with such a great message about Africa. I hope you like them too!

Anonymous said...

You must be pretty psyched! We're very excited for you. Have a great trip!

Mark, Erin and fam

Anonymous said...

Hi, Hi!! I am so excited for you! When are you actually going to be back?

I'll be praying for you guys. I hope you have a great time in Egypt. Sounds like a blast!

Can't wait to meet the newest Krob member. Tariku is one lucky little guy! :)

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Hi There!

I have been watching yuor journey since Jen first sent out the message last year, but I haven't written anything yet... I am so excited your you guys! It has been so much fun watching your blog and hoping for an update. I hope I get a chance to see you when you get back with Tariku. If not, I'll bee watching the blog for more news and pictures. Good luck and God Bless!!

Kim Bridges

Anonymous said...

I thought it might be useful to use local Ethiopian search website http://www.ethiotime.com to find hotels and other things within Ethiopia.

Anonymous said...

Jen...I am so excited for you. It actually hit me when I walked by your empty cube today that you are on your way to get the newest member of the Krob family. I am amazed everyday at your ability to juggle work and home life...enjoy every minute of this journey and we will see you when you get back!

Lilypie Date is set Ticker