Monday, January 07, 2008

Next Big Step - Late news

Last Thursday, January 3rd, Gary, Tariku, and I went to court ("isn't court a bad thing " asked Katie - not this time, angel!). We had Tarik's Re-adoption, or Adoption Finalization hearing. Our new friend Jeremy represented us and briefed us on what would happen and what we needed to do. (I didn't realized we would actually be sworn in...)

My dad came over bright and early to get Katie and Jack off to school and watch Annalise. Heck no, we weren't taking them! Oh yes, it would be nice, but I am sure they would have behaved in such a way that the judge might have had a second thought about whether we could handle 4 kids! As we walked out the door, Jack asked "what if the judge said no, that we couldn't keep him". I assured him it wouldn't happen and then when we got there, Jeremy assured me that it couldn't happen either. (unless I started talking crazy up on the stand - luckily I was able to keep my cool!)

The hearing wasn't very long, but I basically went through the whole process from deciding to adopt to being here with Tarik today. Gary was second and got to just agree that everything I said was true. Tarik was a doll and happily tapped his plastic toy against the table the whole time.

So, we are nearly done. The Proof of Ciitzenship or Naturalization is our last step that we starting right now. Oh, except the next 18 years of post-placement reports that are due to Ethiopia. Gotta get that on the calendar...

Here is a pic of us with the judge (sorry Jeremy - you are blog-worthy, but I have my eyes closed in the pic!)

2 comments:

Monnik said...

yay! Congratulations!

That judge looks MEAN! I'm sure he was nicer than he appears in the picture, though...

Stephanie said...

I agree with Monnik's comment. The judge doesn't look too gentle. Congratulations on the official act of being "approved". :) YAY!

Lilypie Date is set Ticker