Monday, January 01, 2007

Small World

Can you believe it is 2007??? When I really think about it, I just can't. I mean what happened to the 90's for goodness sakes? And now it is well over half way through this decade (I knew know what to call it). Time really does fly when you are having fun.

We (the very exciting couple that we are) rung in the New Year on the couch flipping between old Twilight Zone episodes and the various New Year celebrations. Had some mixed drinks and champagne and actually made it up to nearly 1:00AM. Earlier in the evening, we had cheese fondue and buffalo burgers and then chocolate fondue for dessert. The kids had sparkling cider in wine glasses and just thought that was the greatest. We played Battleship and had lots of family fun. I was in a super excellent mood because the work-work that I had thought might take all weekend was done by 2:00 on Saturday (after starting at 6:00AM).

We spent today trying to figure out where all the new games, toys, and other gifts from Christmas would fit. We have Katie and Jack's room very organized - hopefully it can stay that way for awhile! Annalise's room is all done, too. We will have to do some re-arranging in her room when our son comes home - but that will be several months.

Anyway, I had not intended to use this blog to bore you all will the daily tasks of our lives. I do have to post a really interesting little story.
The week before Christmas, Gary and I and the kiddos delivered little goodie bags to the neighbors on our cul-de-sac. We included a Christmas card and note to say hello and give the news of our adoption. The next day on the blog, we had 2 comments. It just so happens that our very next door neighbors, Brian and Stephanie, have a family member who is adopting from Ethiopia as well. What in heavens is the chance of that? And it sounds like Amy, who is Brian's sister, and her husband Josh are pretty close to being in the same parts of the process. That is really amazing and so exciting.
Part of the reason I think it is exciting is because it shows how adoptions and specifically Ethiopian adoptions are growing. I cannot remember the exact numbers/details, but Children's Home started doing Ethiopian adoptions in 2004 with less than 50 adoptions. In 2006, they placed more than 200 children. Children's Home adopts from about 10 international countries, and said that the Ethiopian numbers could be close to overtaking China in the next few years. Wow!

3 comments:

Amy said...

whoa...I did not realize you guys already had your dossier sent off! That is very exciting and means your little guy will be here soon! We are hoping to get it at least sent off to our adoption agency soon. I am a little fuzzy on how to get the Oklahoma Secretary of State approval...I am calling our worker today. Anyway, happy new year and what an exciting gift to look forward to this year! Amy

Monnik said...

wow, that's a small world! And really cool that you have 'met' another couple adopting through ethiopia.

I love this blog. :)
-Nik

Anonymous said...

Hi-dee-ho Neighbor!

Indeed, a small world!! :) Brian wonders when it's our turn. :) I'm so happy for you guys and that you can share your experiences with each other (along with your blog readers). I look forward to your next posts.

Stephanie

Lilypie Date is set Ticker