Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fingerprints to Big Brother...Check.

Teanastëllën,
Well we had our appointment with USCIS (formally INS) Thursday to get our fingerprints done. I had all kinds of smart alec comments in my head to use while there. Stuff like "I hope they don't solve any old crimes with this data" but when the time came I quietly went up and let them have their way with me. The whole process only took us about 15 minutes which was also a little disappointing. I got to leave work and was hoping to be gone longer.

Saturday night we had dinner with another couple who are adopting from Ethiopia. They have their referral, a beautiful baby boy (13 months old I want to say), and are waiting for their travel date. We had actually gotten together with them in December when the larger group of us met at David's. Nice night, good food, great conversation.

One of the questions that have come up a lot recently amongst ourselves and from others is what are we going to name our child. To be honest that is a tough question for us. I may ask Jen to hop on later and give a better answer, but in a nutshell we don't know. We are kind of waiting to see what our child's name is before we make any decisions. It seems from the people we have met and those on the boards that it is a about 60-40 in keeping the original name. For us it will depend I think on what that name is. At the very least I think we plan on using a combination of our child's Ethiopian name and one that we pick. I am including a link which gives a sample of some of the names used in Ethiopia. Any comments and suggestions about names will be greatly appreciated.

Ethiopian boys names A-T
Ethiopian boys names T-Z

3 comments:

Monnik said...

I love the name Benyam.

I was surprised to see so many of the biblical names in here, but after some thought realized that since Ethiopia is one of the oldest Christian countries, that makes sense.

I'm learning a lot of interesting facts from your book, Jen! I'm really enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thank you for the blog! I find it fascinating, reading through the names! I support your decision to wait to meet your new babe to decide on the name. You probably have some ideas narrowed down though, right?

Stephanie

Unknown said...

Hey guys,
I have never posted a comment, and feel bad that I have not checked out the site in almost 2 months. What a bad sister/SIL/ aunt I have been! I will try to be better.
As for names, I think waiting to see what he is named is definitely best, but ater reviewing the list I really like Elias.
Really enjoyed the pics from the trip! Can't wait til my kids know how to pose so nicely for a picture -- they look like models!
We had a great time that weekend and really appreciate all that you did to make my birthday so special!
Love you all, talk to you soon.
Sarah

Lilypie Date is set Ticker